Sunday, July 13, 2008

Iowa to Kearney, Nebraska

Odometer - 1485 miles

We had a grand reunion with Paula yesterday afternoon as well as a great tour of Iowa State University where she teaches. Then it was off to the food store to restock our lunch supplies (small cans of barbecued beans, tuna cups, carrots, celery, unsalted almonds, yogurt, cheese and milk. We’ve been picnicking at the rest stops as we travel along.)

After nearly a week on the road, it was delightful to be in Paula’s house to relax. She treated us to a yummy dinner complete with the best peaches I’ve had in years and sweet corn. As I sat at dinner, my eyes wandered over to her refrigerator door which was adorned with notes and things to do. It reminded me again that we’re on the road without a home - I don’t have a refrigerator with notes and things to do. But I am looking forward to that normalcy returning to my life in Alaska.

This morning we were up early and were on the road by 8:00. I really feel like we’re organized and have a nice system in place. I have to say, it’s quite a feat - even more than I thought it would be - to be on the road for 25 days and be well-fed, well-rested, comfortable, with clean clothes (Thanks, Paula!) and a song in our hearts. It’s pretty easy to fall behind in any of those areas.

This morning, I spent about two hours planning and booking hotels for the next 4-5 days of our trip. Thank goodness for AAA - their guidebooks and maps have been invaluable. Two other resources have been great, too - 1,000 Places to See in the USA and DK Eyewitness USA. I go back and forth between the guidebooks and these books to determine our route.

Tonight we’ll stay in Kearney (pronounced Car-ney), Nebraska. There’s a fort there and also a train museum we might see if we arrive early. Interesting - I have done practically NO pleasure reading in the car. I’m much too interested in the scenery to read and that’s really saying something for me!

No comments: